In the middle of the 19th century, the Ringstrasse, built and planned as a Boulevard, finalized with the part of the Opernring, filled the gap between the Altstadt (Old City) and Wienfluss (Creek of Vienna). This architecture had created quite some differences of opinions. The conflict between historical architecture and the rational modern was part of the critic, mentioned as well by the famous Art Deco architect Otto Wagner. The first building of this kind was build 1859 at the Opernring 1-5. As a block building, this was quite in a contrast to the overall appearance of the Old City. Primarily, it should acknowledge and represent the wealthy people in contrast to the emperor and royalties. Therefore, wealthy industrials have built themselves a monument and went somehow in competition with the Royals.
Because of the short distance between the hotel to the Hofburg Palace, plus important traffic lines and streets, the location was ideal for the high society and their appearance in public. The Viennese State Opera House found here its place.
At that time a rather modest build city-house at the Opernring 11 was constructed. This was at the end of the Art Deco period in 1912/13. The architect at this time was Ludwig Mueller, student of Otto Wagner, and Leopold Roth, who at that time created quite some advanced iron-concrete constructions, developing a moderate modern expression and impressed with individual plastic ornaments.
In 1920, the Café „Sacher” was located at the ground floor of the hotel with impressive arcades at the mezzanine, where today a renovated mosaic still remembers of that time.
Since 1925 the Hotel is privately owned. The owners have always tried to keep the elements of the Art Deco time. In particular you can see it at the staircases, the black and white tiles on the different floors and at the front of the house.
The 3rd Floor, Beletage, which was used at that time as the reception-hall for celebrities and important people, is functioning today as the breakfast room four our guests.